You may know by now that digital marketing is oriented towards results. Its purpose is to satisfy customers while promoting your business/ideas/company.
Within this context, your content marketing strategy should be focused on delivering your desired results. You can measure results by conducting a content audit. This will help you determine how you rank in Google’s searches results and help to identify what improvements you may have to undertake.
Tip: set yourself daily milestones in terms of content writing. Try to write new, engaging content on a daily basis. Filter your content with the help of a content audit.
The first step that you need to take in terms of marketing is to establish your audience and afterwards you may write your content. More specifically, know the person that you are selling to; your buyer persona. One way to achieve this is by interviewing your existing customers to identify what encourages them to purchase your product or service and what led them to visit your website in the first place. I, for example, am using a tool called typeform when conducting my interviews.
Once you have identified your buyer persona, you can create your content. But, you should never forget what your audience is looking to find out from your content. Afterall, you are writing for them and, through your content, you should be able to answer their questions and bring them solutions to their problems. Most of the time, your audience is looking for content that matches their needs. They are looking for answers and results without wasting too much of their time.
Below, you may find some examples of what topics to write about:
- Trends in the industry
- Advice about a certain issue/matter
- Events that are taking place in your industry, both locally and internationally
- Changes that may affect the industry (these may be technological, political, environmental or economic)
- Reviews of various products
- Answers to your audience’s questions
- Comments on your audience’s posts
- Important people from the industry
- Pros and cons
- Interviews with specialists
- A beginner section
- How-to guides
- A list of necessary tools
- Important and useful books and articles
- Case studies
- Myth Buster
It is necessary to write about a single subject from those mentioned above and use it to create content for a couple of months. And, if you use content atomization, then you may not need to look for another subject for a long period.
Another important element for you to take into account when producing content is that your writing should be relevant, engaging and will convert your readers into customers. Your goal is to have a content marketing strategy that generates leads and sales.
Tip: before setting your content marketing strategy answer yourself the following questions:
- How can I get more users?
- How can I increase the rate of email subscriptions?
- How can I sell more to the people that visit or subscribe to my blog?
Steps to take for an effective content marketing strategy:
1. Include keywords in your writing
They will help this content to be found in a Google search (just don’t abuse them). Focus on your SEO to ensure that your article is as visible and researchable as possible.
When doing on-site SEO you should keep the following in mind:
- The keywords that you intend to include in the content
- Ensure that your title includes an established keyword
- Short URLs that include keywords
- Subheadings with keywords
- Meta-descriptions with keywords in the beginning and a call-to-action at the end
- Links to other websites
- Links to previous content that you have produced to create a connection between your writings.
2. Look for pages or groups where people are asking questions about the topic that you are writing about
Link the audience to your content by including a link in your answer. This action is called link-building.
3. Don’t let your content go unpromoted
Every new piece of content that you write and each update that you make to an old piece of writing, should be promoted to ensure your audience is aware of the changes. The best place to do this is social media. You may promote your content on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Pinterest, and others. You may also include push notifications on your website or send an email update to your list when you publish new content on your website. Other useful methods of promotion are blogs, forums, and industry websites.
4. Convince people to buy what you are selling
You should never forget that the ultimate goal of writing content is to promote a product or service. That’s why you need to include a link to your products or services in your content. You can offer the opportunity to download a demo, brochure, guide, or manual. This will help you to create engagement and interest while increasing your email list and your subscribers. The greater visibility that you have in a certain market, the greater the level of interest will be you and your products or services.
Tip: no matter what your area of activity may be, try and transform yourself into a brand and a specialist that people will follow.
5. Keep track of your results